Monday, February 13, 2012

People Will Find You

Do you know what your customers are saying about you?

Or maybe your fans?

Or perhaps your students?

Don't care? Or don't think you have time to care?

You may want to reconsider.  And soon.

On the first day of class this semester, one of my students matter-of-factly said that she selected MY section of Principles of Accounting I based on a recommendation.

I asked her who the kind person was who recommended me to her.

It wasn't a person who made the recommendation.

It was a website.

The student casually informed me that finding everything she needed to know about my performance as an instructor was as easy as typing my name into Google and the school that I teach at.

A few keystrokes and...Voila'.  A website called http://blog.ratemyprofessors.com/ provided her with all the information she needed.

Fortunately for me, I received a 4.5 rating out of a possible 5.  I received a 5 for "clarity" and "helpfulness", but only a 3 for "easiness."

Guess I'm nice.

But not cheap.

I think this story is instructive.

It says THESE ARE THE RULES OF THE INTERNET AGE:

THE RULES:  If you are good.  Really good. And consistently good.

People will find you.

However....

If you are poor.  Really poor.  And consistently poor.

People will find you...AND....

They will tell OTHERS.

But....here is the cool part:

IF you are up to the challenge.

And have the courage to be good at what you do.  Really good at what you do.  And consistently good at what you do....

These new rules provide you a BIG OPPORTUNITY and...

...are the BEST RULES EVER to be playing by.

AMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment