Friday, February 3, 2012

Going Long

In my twenties, all I cared about was going fast.

A faster 5k, a faster 10k.

I applied this "need for speed" to my non-running life as well at the time.  Faster job promotions.  Faster accumulation of cars, homes, 401(k) contributions.

As I approach my 43rd birthday, I try and focus more on going LONG.

I was humbled when I ran the Leadville Marathon last Summer--26.2 miles--all over 10,000 feet--including a 6-mile jaunt up Mosquito Pass.  Humbled because many of my fellow runners were 20 years older than me--that's right--20 years or more.  I ran the last 7 miles with a 60-year old retired school teacher who was running the race as a  TRAINING RUN!  A training run for the Leadville 100 (a 100 mile race on foot)the next month!

Finishing that race with those hearty souls 20 years my elder spoke volumes not just about TRAINING as we get older.  But about LIVING as we get older.

What I found in Leadville that day was that what we lose in going fast, we gain in going long.

In other, words...what we lose in youth, we gain in experience.

I have found the axiom of GOING LONG to apply to many areas of life.  Taking the LONG view in building one's career, in raising kids, in building a business, in strengthening the body has profound implications for the decisions we make today.  Going LONG instead of FAST implies we are seeking to create something of lasting value, something bigger than us.

Giving our kids a TV and XBOX in their room may be a FAST solution to occupy their time and provide immediate daycare relief so we can work our pet projects or finish laundry.  Or spending the $2000 for the tummy-tuck may provide the temporary pass to avoid the pain of exercise.

But going LONG means that we forsake the fast solution.  The shortcut.  It means we ignore the silly gimmicks that promise fast health and fast wealth.  And focus on building the things that we will be glad we built when the kids are grown and we are surveying our lives from the finish line.  The things that can't be built overnight or with our checkbook.

Going long is not easy.  Truth be told, it can be downright exhausting as the temptation to take the FAST solution  is always lurking. But I am confident it can be done as others have forged the path.

People like that retired schoolteacher I met on Mosquito Pass. Who have not only gained the wisdom from going long, but possess the goodness to share this wisdom, and direct us and encourage us to remain on the path.

As race season approaches, I keep thinking of that schoolteacher. I would love to run a few miles with him again and gleen some more nuggets of wisdom. 

I hear there are a few slots open for the Leadville 50 Race this July.  Maybe he'll be there.  I better get training....50 miles is long way.

AMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment