Monday, June 11, 2012

There Are No Theme Parks in Self-Doubt

Self-doubt is a lonely place.

A place you don't want to visit for very long.

An extended stay here is expensive--big time.

It may not cost a lot of money to visit.

But it will certainly bankrupt your energy and motivation.

Self-doubt is a place where you will hear whispers in your head.

Whispers asking nasty questions like "can I really do this?"

These whispers repeat.

Over.

And over.

Trips to self-doubt often occur as you are about to do something big.

Really big.

Like a job interview.

An important sales presentation.

A first marathon.

It seeks to undermine all the energy and hard work you have put forth.

It seeks to convince you that you will fail in your effort.

Or worse...

It will convince you to quit.

Or not begin at all.

So how do we parole ourselves from this mental prison?

There's no magic key--believe me, I've looked.

Instead, I have found only a few simple reminders to help me escape...

Reminders such as:

1.  Reminding myself of the reasons I want to achieve the goal.
2.  Reminding myself that I have put in the required time and work to achieve the goal.
3.  Reminding myself that others with equal (or even lesser ability) have achieved this very same goal.
4.  Reminding myself of previous times where self-doubt crept in--and I succeeded anyway. 

These corny reminders won't stop the trips on the "Self-Doubt Express."

But they can minimize the FREQUENCY and SEVERITY of the trips.

In running, the battle is often won in our head, BEFORE it is won on the track.

I have found this to be true in most other endeavors.

So the next time you find your confidence shaking...

And your mind wandering towards the train to self doubt...

I say start walking to another train.

A train going to a better location.

And leave behind the train to self-doubt.

Because you have already been there..

And it's not worth a second trip.

AMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment