Friday, May 11, 2012

Run Like an Old Woman

Nothing like a good butt-kicking to instill humility.

I recently ran up Lookout Mountain with a running buddy I hadn't seen in a while.

I could barley keep up with him.

He's about ten years older than I.

While choking and gasping, I recall him lamenting his "disappointing" time at a marathon he just finished.

He ran a 3:10 time.

Humble pie ala mode.

This experience made me reflect on a section in Chris Mc Dougall's book, "Born to Run", where he insightfully points out how human  physiology is turned on it's head when it comes to distance running--particularly distances beyond the marathon.

He points out that the winners of many ultra marathons are women, not men.  And that the top finishers are often the 40 year old school teachers, not the 20 year old freshmen.

In other words, what we lose in SPEED as we get older, we gain in DISTANCE. 

In other words....it looks like it's EXPERIENCE that matters.

Looks like EXPERIENCE trumps youth and talent when going long.

ESPECIALLY when going long.

Sounds like a metaphor for life.

I think experience trumps youth and talent--in MANY endeavors.

Running a successful business.

Being a great teacher

Flying a plane.

Raising good kids.

So the next time I am out for a run, and I find myself heckled by the occasional loudmouth motorist for "running like an old woman," I'll try not to get upset.

I might even try to smile.

And know that "running like an old woman" is exactly what I should be doing.

AMJ






No comments:

Post a Comment