Sunday, April 1, 2012

Seeing is Believing

I planned on running up and down Lookout Mountain Road three times this morning.

I only made it twice.

The body was ready for the third pass...it was the brain that said "we're done."

I just couldn't "see" doing it again.

In distance training, when the brain doesn't SEE a goal, the heart won't BELIEVE the goal.

So the legs stop moving.

As Olympic psychologist Denis Waitley says: "the software drives the hardware."

I think this tough lesson applies to any goal--completing college, starting a business, running a marathon.

It all begins with "seeing."

So you can believe it to be possible.

No amount of training will allow a person to run a marathon if she believes the distance is too long.

No amount of college business degrees will enable an entrepreneur to start a success business if the entrepreneur doesn't first see and believe a successful path exists.

No amount of brains will get a student through college if she doesn't see and believe she is smart enough to graduate.

Indeed, brains, talent, and motivation are necessary ingredients for success in running or any other endeavor.

But I think it really all begins with seeing.

And believing.

I am going to try again next Sunday to run Lookout Mountain Road three times.

I'll make sure I bring the same fuel--plenty of water and two PBJ sandwiches.

But I will make sure I bring a different set of "eyes."

Eyes to help me "see" that it is possible.

AMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment