Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hitting the Wall

The marathon is 26.2 miles.

It is at mile 20 that the marathon becomes a different race.

It is the  physical and mental turning point--no BREAKING POINT--for many runners where exhaustion and self-doubt are at it's peak.

The point where where the athlete has to remind herself of the reason she STARTED the journey.

And remind herself of the reason to FINISH it.

This point in the marathon is known as hitting "the wall."

I think we experience "the wall" in nearly any endeavor.

Why should I continue with this difficult calculus class--or even continue with school?

Why should I continue with this business that is draining me mentally and financially?

Why should I keep working this second job to pay the mortgage when I am so exhausted?

It is at "the wall" where pure honesty occurs.

Honesty with ourselves.

The point where finishing what we started is predicated on coming up with a damn good reason to give more of ourselves when there is nothing left to give.

A big enough reason to help us dig really deep and find that reason that will transcend and carry us through the pain of those last few miles to victory.

This is not easy as I have seen many a runner hitch a ride home at mile 23.

But the experience of breaking through the wall ONCE provides us the strength to break through the wall AGAIN.

In running.

And in life.

I think Coach Vince Lombardi sums it up best:

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Couldn't have said it better.

AMJ  

No comments:

Post a Comment